Top SEO aspects to take under consideration. It will not only help to achieve high positions in SERPs but will also give your competitors a tough time.
1. Avoid fast link-building – Doing a fast link-building job may temporary boost site rankings, but after a while it will badly affect the site rankings. So the good thing is to define your movement plan and be steady and follow a more sustainable approach. Look for having less but high quality links.
2. Use of Meta Descriptions – Search engines now don’t bother looking at the meta descriptions, but humans do, so make nicer and attractive meta descriptions which will help to gain good click through rate of your link in SERPs. Eventually the better the CTR the boost in traffic will occur.
3. Stay Calm – Don’t overlook the site traffic and rankings on hourly, daily and weekly basis. Instead take monthly analysis and then work accordingly. Make monthly targets and follow them, analyze loopholes and fix them.
4. Don’t waste time watching results – I have seen people watching their site’s rankings very frequently, every hour and every day. Stop wasting time as you have much other things to do like writing extra blog posts or learning new things.
5. Quality Product – If you are running an e-commerce site then do have a strict watch on the quality of your product. Don’t compromise anywhere quality is being effected.
6. Type of the site matters – SEO is different for e-commerce, blogs, corporate and portfolio sites. Analyze the current position of the site and by taking consideration of the type of the site it is, make plans accordingly.
7. Be Creative – The poor thing in SEO industry is keeping a fix track following an experts advice. No doubt the expert got successful in his way, but it is not necessary that the same strategy may work great for your site too. Take multiple advices and design your own way, no worries if you fail for the first time, but I guarantee that you will be in a much greater position if you are sincere with your business.
8. Domain age matters – One of the many site ranking factors include the domain age. Search engine algorithm is designed to look for how serious the site owner is. You can increase the domain age till 10 years! This will add a trust and value to the search engines.
9. Competition – Looking to compete with bigger brands? Well you have an advantage to move much faster. Everything you personally do is right passing in front of your eyes. Bigger brands have a large budget which makes them slow to move, but in your case you are a sports car versus a cargo truck. Race on!
10. Error 404 – Don’t let your site caught with broken links or page not found, this not only annoys the search engine but also the users. A helpful tip for wordpress users, can use a 404 redirection plugin to redirect all broken links to the site homepage. So then you will be safe from leaking site rankings.
11. Stay Tuned with SEO – Every day is a challenging day, so keep yourself up to date what’s going on in the industry.
12. Greet your visitors well – Build your site for users not for the search engines. Greet users with great content. SEO will do its job brining visitors to you, so now it’s your duty to handle them well. Site should clearly say the purpose of its presence.
13. Get familiar with programming languages – If you really want to have an edge on your SEO skills then learning programming languages is a must. You will be aware of the things going on in the backyard. You will develop your site according to SEO standards. You will have the flexibility in fixing technical site issues. Site’s code has a great influence in optimization.
14. earning is just not enough – You can study all the SEO related books and blogs existing in the world. Experience is everything, it’s essential that things go through your experience. Find opportunities to work for different sites and gain experience with them. If a thing went wrong and you were the one who fixed that then you have learned a great new thing.
15. Beware of the animals – Don’t take it easy with the beautiful looking animal themed update which Google releases after some periods (Google Penguin and Google Panda), no doubt these animals look innocent from outside but they are monsters from inside. So take your time and fix things immediately according to these updates.
16. The rel family – Search engines have introduced to many rel tags like “rel=author” “rel canonical” “rel=nofollow” “rel=alternative” “rel=noindex” etc. Correct use of these tags can help a lot in the flow of your site’s PageRank.
17. Online marketing – SEO, SEM, PPC etc. have greatly influenced the internet marketing. Many people say that SEO will die. But this is not exactly the case, SEO will keep on evolving. Ways of doing things will change but the concepts and theories will remain the same. This all will continue as long as people continue running their websites.
18. Keyword Research – Upon the wrong selection of the keyword your entire efforts will be wasted. Carefully research and select the right keywords to incorporate inside your content.
19. Content Spinning – People take shortcuts, trying to produce unique content, instead they get in a habit to rewrite the same content they find over the Internet. The good way is to giving a deep search to the topic you are going to write on, and by combining it with your personal experience you create much smarter and valuable content than others.
20. Be Natural and Work Naturally – Don’t find ways to trick the search engine algorithm. You will see a temporary boost in your success but will suffer a great loss too. So work like a real human being and work naturally.
21. Google PageRank – Don’t just stare every day at the PageRank of your site. Use internal and external linking. This will not just keep a good flow of the PageRank but will also increase the user experience too. Inside your content you can add anchor keywords linking to your other relevant posts.
22. Watch out for your competitors – you must keep a watch over your competitors; see what strategies are they making over time. Analyze your site metrics and compare it with others.
23. Site Bounce Rate – SEO will do its maximum effort in dropping visitors to your site, but then it will be your effort how you treat them, keep your audience attractive to your site and let them stay for longer. Add valuable and interesting content; keep site navigation clean and easy. Don’t give your audience a poor site experience. This includes a number of things like slow site speed, broken links, poor navigation, nothing welcoming, uncomfortable design etc.
24. Stay together – Remain and work in complete coordination with the product designers. It’s important to understand the best about the product you are going to market. Like I mentioned before that a quality product plays a major role in SEO.
25. Respect your Developers – If you are working with a developer trying to improve the site as SEO point of view then it’s important to have good terms. You have to understand the mindset of the developer and have to communicate accordingly. Your developer may not know the effects of a clean backyard on the front elevation. You know how valuable is it to keep the site optimized from a developer’s point of view. Also don’t annoy your developer by requesting unwanted changes; it’s good to describe why you are taking the step.
26. <title> tag – It is very important to include the title tag. This tells the user and the search engine what is the page about.
27. 301 Redirects – if you plan to change the URL structure of your site or you plan to switch to another domain then it is very important to implement a 301 redirect on each permalink of your site. For example you shifted to a new domain and wanted to retain the PageRank then it’s important to tell the search engine that the permalink has been moved to a new one. The content remains the same but only the permalink changes. Google will automatically renew the indexed links in its database. It will remove the older links and will replace it with the new ones, preventing the PageRank to leak.
28. SEO is a wizard – No matter how many websites you worked for as a SEO consultant, you still won’t be familiar with the unknown loopholes. To overcome this situation you need to deeply study the case and the site’s history. Make a master plan and check each corner.
29. Relevancy is Important – whatever you do, just make sure that you stay relevant. In link-building, writing posts and on-page optimization.
30. Site Performance – Search Engines try their best to provide users with great search experience. Google have provided a tool by the name “Page Speed Insights” which analyzes and points out the loopholes to fix for increase in site performance. You can also use a tool provided by Yahoo by the name “YSlow”. Optimizing site following both of these tools can boost the speed of your site.
31. Not provided keyword – Most of the people complain about the “not provided” keyword. The special thing about this scenario is that Google do not want to tell the site owners that which keyword is bringing in the most traffic to their site. Why Google do not discloses it because the users will start to abuse the use of the keyword to gain high traffic. So don’t worry just follow your target and keep fulfilling the need of the audience.
32. Do more SEO – Don’t relax, keep on finding ways in improving your site SEO, roll back and see that major things you missed when you started your business.
33. Top 5 search results – It’s very important to have an eye on your competitors. See why top 5 sites in search results are granted with their respective positions. Identify the strategies they are using to beat you.
34. Money can’t buy everything – Well if you are thinking to buy links from high PR sites then it’s simply not the right way you are following. I agree that after you struggle your best to have high PR backlinks you then think this way. Google strictly says not to buy links so just don’t!
35. Please don’t play with Google – All I can say and warn is to stop playing with Google. It’s the matter of fact that Google have hired the smartest people from all over the world. So your tricks may work for a limited amount of time but not for longer. Try your best to avoid doing against Google guidelines.
36. Build trust – Take your hard work to build trust on your customers. You will never be penalized if you are working for people.
37. Excess of everything is bad – You learned a great SEO strategy and highly depends on it; well keep in mind that the same strategy might get you penalized next time. So keep yourself updated to new SEO updates and make changes accordingly.
38. SEO is all about being truth – According to my experience I believe that SEO is all about being truth. You can also implement the SEO in your lifestyle. Make your life much easier.
39. Hunt for Opportunities – Keep yourself busy discovering opportunities. Your work will be appreciated if you do it amazingly.
40. Start creating opportunities – Eventually you are going to have your own business, well if you want to fulfill this dream then start creating opportunities. Learn and hand over your work to other and start exploring new things to do.
41. Have a Break – Don’t just stick to your computer whole day long. Give yourself a break, 5 times a day.
42. Observe advertisement banners – While online surfing you might encounter with many attractive advertisements. See and observe why they caught your attention. Advertisement banners are the quickest in delivering the idea.
43. Think in pleasant moments – You can come up with ideas when you feel that you are in a very calm and pleasant moment.
44. Learn and Spread – SEO is an industrious job, if you learn something then spread it. Good will automatically approach you. Trust me.
45. Become a source of knowledge – Yes don’t keep anything secretive, instead help people around you the best you can. Who know when someone returns you back with a great thing.
46. Get ready for the ups and downs – never give up; no matter if you are achieving success or you are experiencing a down fall. Almost nothing works the first time it’s attempted; just because you are doing does not seem to be working. This does not mean that this will not work. In actual it means that it will never work the way you are doing it.
47. Your Location Matters – Residing in a place which is the hub of any industry is just simply great.
48. Be smart in risk taking – Make smart decisions and take small risks.
49. Get yourself in a habit of reading – Reading almost anything improves writing and communication skills. This also allows you to help creating new ideas.
50. Please Listen to Matt Cutts – He is the head of Google web spam team.